Having your payroll or government benefit check added to your Green Dot Prepaid Debit Card is a very simple matter. There are excellent reasons to choose direct deposit over receiving a paper check.
• Direct deposit is safer. Checks can be stolen or lost, which often results in a delay in receiving your money.
• Direct deposit saves time. You don’t have to spend your time in line to cash or deposit your check.
• Direct deposit gets your money to you faster. When you choose direct deposit with Green Dot, your money is often available by 9 am on payday, although the exact time can vary.
• Direct deposit carries no fees. Typically, a check cashing store charges a fee of 3% or even more for their service.
• Direct deposit is more convenient. You don’t have to make a special trip to the bank or check service. If you are not in town, you can still have access to your funds.
Arranging Direct Deposit of a Payroll Check to a Green Dot Debit Card
Your personalized Green Dot Debit Card should have included a direct deposit form that resembles a voided check. It is preprinted with the routing and account numbers needed to set up a direct deposit. Attach this to the direct deposit enrollment form furnished by your employer. Select whether you want your entire check deposited or a part of it. Turn the form into your employer, and they will make the rest of the arrangements.
If you need another voided check, you can get it at www.mygreendot.com/directdeposit.
Arranging Direct Deposit of a Tax Refund to a Green Dot Debit Card
When you e-file your returns, you can have your federal or state tax refunds deposited to your Green Dot card and receive your money in as little as 8 days from the time your return is accepted. This use of prepaid cards as tax refund cards is becoming very popular.
You just need to choose the direct deposit option when filing, select to have funds deposited to a checking account (the option for a prepaid debit card) and then enter the routing and direct deposit number. You can find these numbers on the voided check you received with your card, or you can get them by pasting
https://www.greendotonline.com/AcctMgmt/Content/Common/AddFunds/TaxSeason.aspx into your browser’s window.
Arranging Direct Deposit of Government Benefits Payments to a Green Dot Debit Card
Whether you already have direct deposit of your government benefits or not, it is a good idea to call the agency first. Follow any special instructions they give you. In most cases, all you need to do is complete the voided check form described in the section on payroll direct deposits and mail it to the agency. Some government agencies will allow you to provide the information online or over the telephone.
The most commonly called agencies and their phone numbers are:
• For Social Security Payments, including SSI: 1-800-772-1213
• For Veteran’s pension payments: 1-877-838-2778
• For active duty military personnel: 1-888-332-7411
You can also enter your information at a federal government site, www.godirect.gov, sponsored by the Treasury Department in conjunction with the Federal Reserve Bank.
Notes about Direct Deposit to Green Dot Prepaid Cards
The name on the account must match the name on the check.
Green Dot normally restricts deposits to $2,500 per day, although they may, at their sole option, accept a larger deposit.
It may take a few weeks before your direct deposit is in place and you receive your first direct deposit.
You can check to see if deposits were made by calling 1-866-795-7597 or online at https://www.mygreendot.com/Greendot/. You can also get to the same page by just typing in www.greendot.com. There is no charge to check your balance and history by phone or online.