Whether you receive a monthly government benefit check or a weekly or biweekly payroll check from an employer, there are several good reasons to have your payments deposited directly to your NetSpend Prepaid MasterCard.
• SAFETY. Paper checks can be lost or stolen, resulting in delays when they have to be replaced.
• SPEED. You save time when you don’t have to waste time standing in line to deposit or cash your check, but often your deposit is received prior to the due date.
• COST. A direct deposit made to your NetSpend Card is free. Some check cashing services charge hefty fees of 3% or more to cash your check.
• CONVENIENCE. You do not have to be home when your check arrives or make a special trip to pick up your check. You can still access your money, even if you are out of town.
It takes just a few minutes to set up direct deposit and eliminate the cost and inconvenience that paper checks can cause.
How to Have Your Payroll Check Deposited to Your NetSpend MasterCard
When you received your new NetSpend Prepaid Debit MasterCard, you should have received a form to use for having your payroll check deposited to your NetSpend account. If you did not receive a form or need another, you can get the form from NetSpend’s website. You must first log in, as your routing number and account number will be completed automatically. You can either follow the prompts (Add/Manage Money, Direct Deposit) and select the “Get Started” button or paste https://www.netspend.com/account/dirDeposit.m?Continute=yes in your browser.
Complete the form, print it, and give it to the person or department responsible for your company’s payroll. It can take up to 2 payroll cycles for the direct deposit to take effect. In the meantime, be sure and open your pay envelope to verify whether it contains a statement showing direct deposit or a check you need to cash or deposit.
How to Have Your Tax Refund Deposited to Your NetSpend MasterCard
Prepaid cards work great as tax refund cards. Having your tax refund loaded on your NetSpend MasterCard is easy, regardless of whether you e-file or submit a paper return. Mark the box for direct deposit and fill in your NetSpend routing and account number. You can get these numbers at the NetSpend website if you are not certain what they are. Your tax refund will be received much sooner, sometimes in as little as 8 days, than if you have to wait for a check to arrive in the mail.
How to Have Government Benefits Payments Deposited to Your NetSpend Card
A direct deposit of government benefit payments requires 6 separate pieces of data:
1) The recipient’s SSN.
2) The claim number or the 12 digit check number from the last payment
3) Name and address exactly as stated on the check
4) Amount of the last check received
5) NetSpend bank routing number.
6) NetSpend bank account number.
You can call the NetSpend customer service department at 1-866-675-4224 (a free call) or you can apply online. The link at the NetSpend website will redirect you to the Go Direct site maintained by the Federal Reserve Banks and the U. S. Treasury Department or you can reach the site directly at https://www.godirect.gov/gpw/index.gd.
If you have direct deposit already established for your government payments, you must first contact the issuing agency. A complete list is available at www.godirect.gov but here are the three most commonly requested:
• Social Security Administration: 1-800-772-1213
• Department of Veterans Affairs: 1-877-838-2778
• Department of Defense Accounting and Finance Service: 1-888-332-7411
Points to Consider about Automatic Deposits to NetSpend Prepaid Cards
The name on the NetSpend account must match the name on the check. For example, if you need to deposit a spouse’s check, you must obtain a card from NetSpend with the spouse’s name on it.
It can take a little time before direct deposits begin. Be sure and verify whether envelopes contain statements or real checks.
You can log in to your online account at the NetSpend website to see if deposits have been received. This free service operates 24/7.