PayPower is a Visa prepaid debit card that you load and reload with cash and use for everyday purchases, giving you total control over your money. Purchase the card for $3.95 plus the load amount, then transfer the funds to the card by calling the toll free number on the back of the card, or by visiting www.paypower.com.
Review of the PayPower™ Visa® Prepaid Card
Since PayPower prepaid debit cards are reloadable, you can only spend the money you’ve loaded – meaning no overdraft fees or minimum balance. No credit checks are required; simply provide your name, address, date of birth (primary account holder must be 18 or older), Social Security Number, Taxpayer Identiﬁcation Number, or valid government issued ID with photograph.
PayPower can be used anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted, including to shop online, pay bills and get cash at ATMs. The funds on your card account are protected from unauthorized use if your card is lost or stolen. The funds on your card are FDIC insured if your card account is registered. PayPower has no additional fees for Customer Service, Direct Deposit or Alerts via email or text messages about daily balance and bill payment activity.
You can find PayPower cards online and in thousands of grocery stores and convenience stores across the U.S. Easily add funds to your PayPower card account by purchasing a “Reloadit Pack” available where PayPower cards are sold. Visit www.paypower.com to find a store near you.
- Use PayPower anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.
- Shop online, pay bills and get cash at ATMs.
- No overdraft fees or minimum balance.
- No credit checks are required.
- No additional fees for Customer Service, Direct Deposit or Alerts.
- Visit www.paypower.com to enroll or find a store near you.
This card is issued by MetaBank™ pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc.
How We Rated the PayPower Visa Prepaid Card
PayPower Visa Prepaid Card Fee Examples
Want to know how much the PayPower Visa Prepaid Card might cost you to use in a typical month? We have crunched the numbers for you! We also show how PayPower Visa Prepaid Cardstacks up against some common alternatives so you can see if you would save money using this card. Please remember -- cost should NOT be the only reason why you pick a card -- make sure to consider the card's features (some cards have more features than a typical bank account).
To see different scenarios, change the following variables.
Note: * Based on a U.S. Average check cashing rate of 4.54% (per the Brookings Institution),
**Using the Money Order fees from the U.S. Post Office (Some of the lowest available),
*** We assume that 1/2 of your in-store purchases will be made using your PIN,
****A LARGE portion of Americans experience at least 1 overdraft each Month. Also note that the Check Casher CANNOT buy items online, and must use cash for all purchases.
Fees Associated With The PayPower Visa Prepaid Card*
||ATM Balance Inquiry:||$0.50
The prepaid PayPower Visa debit card is fantastic for people who use the card frequently to purchase items on the Internet or in stores since there are no Point of Sale (POS) transaction fees. Bill payments are free as well, so pay online whenever possible. The PayPower card is similar to other prepaid cards and banks accounts that charge additional fees for certain transactions like International ATM Withdrawals, Expedited Bill Pay, Mailed Paper Statements, etc). Be sure to check the fee schedule on the website for more details.
* Fees verified as of 02/15/2011. Check the Current Terms & Conditions for a list of all the fees.
** Some ATM operators may charge a fee for use of their ATMs in addition to this fee.
*** To use your PayPower Visa Prepaid Card in a "signature" transaction, select "Credit" when checking out at a brick and mortar merchant. Most internet transactions are automatically processed as "signature" transactions.
PayPower Visa Prepaid Card Card Options
PayPower Visa comes in one style and no confusing alternative payment plans. It is a simple, straightforward card with lots of features and a competitive fee structure.
Here are GetDebit’s “Low Fee Tips” for this Card
The PayPower Prepaid Visa Card, like most prepaid debit cards, have fees that can be avoided if you are careful. Here are some tips to minimize your fees associated with this card.
- Purchase this card online...it's FREE! If you purchase the card at a retail outlet, there will be a fee charged.
- Reduce the number of ATM visits. If you need $100 of cash for the week, make one withdrawal from the ATM (make sure there are enough funds in the account!). Don't withdraw only $20 or $40 at a time (the fees will tend to add up FAST).
- Save paper and don't order hard copies of your account statements. The PayPower Visa Card (like many prepaid cards) will charge you an additional fee to receive statements by mail. Why not save a tree and save yourself some money at the same time?
- Treat your card like it's your checkbook. Take out money only when you have it (you probably won't be assessed an overdraft charge, but you could get a "decline" transaction at an ATM).
- Avoid the need for special fees, like expedited payments on bill pay transactions, lost/stolen card replacement fees or account closure fees.
- It is always a good idea to use direct deposit when available. With this card there is no charge and the money will automatically go into your account for you to use. Reloading fees can also add up quickly.
Tips for Using The PayPower™ Visa® Prepaid Card