Prepaid Debit Cards
Prepaid debit cards are a smart and cost-effective alternative to carrying cash and paying check cashing fees. A good prepaid debit card can be better than a “traditional’ bank account in many ways. But how do you decide which of the dozens of debit cards are the best?
Prepaid debit cards are not credit cards. Because prepaid debit cards are “pre-funded” (with the amount of money you deposit in the account related to the debit card), you only spend the money you have (so you won’t get over extended or run into credit problems). Even better, almost anyone can qualify for a prepaid card (there usually is no credit check required, and you don’t need to have an existing bank account).
We Help You Find the Best Prepaid Debit Cards
There are dozens of good prepaid debit cards. Many are similar (and many are issued by the same banks). So how do you choose which card is the best?
We’ve tried to make it easy for you, by reviewing all of the top prepaid debit cards and by providing handy calculators and reviews for you to use to enter information about how you expect to use your card. Generally, the best debit card is one issued by a reputable and consumer-friendly issuer, that has the features you need, and that has the lowest fees for your expected use.
The best prepaid debit card for you may not be the best debit card for me.
For each of the cards reviewed, we tell you exactly how much it costs, and how you can load money on the card. We also tell you how you can use each of the cards. You’ll find that most of our favorite prepaid debit cards are cheaper than a regular bank account, and let you use them at almost every merchant location (at regular “brick and mortar” stores, as well as on the Internet or over the phone).
Ready to find the right prepaid debit card?
Use our card search engine (at the top right of this page), or browse the prepaid debit cards listed on the right hand side of the page. Make sure to check out the “Fee Examples” at the bottom of each card, and play around with the calculator using your expected usage scenarios. We are confident you’ll find the right card for your needs.
Here are two of our most popular Prepaid Debit Cards
Yap Prepaid Debit MasterCard
The YAP MasterCard is a prepaid debit card that allows you to “mobilize your money” by making it easy for you to send and receive money over your mobile phone. The YAP Card has a clean and simple fee structure, so there are few (if any) “fee gotchas”. If you want to be able to easily send and receive money using your phone, check out the YAP prepaid MasterCard. Read More
Mango MasterCard Prepaid Card
The Mango MasterCard prepaid debit card offers a fresh way to manage money. We love the simplicity and easy maneuverability of the Mango website. When you use the Mango MasterCard, most of the financial tasks you perform have no fee associated with them – and the fees that are charged are just a few and disclosed well!. There are also a ton of extra features and benefits included with the Mango prepaid MasterCard that you just don’t get with many prepaid cards out there. Read More
Browse Through All of Our Prepaid Visa Debit Cards
- mPower Visa Prepaid Card with direct deposit
- Green Dot Gold Prepaid Visa Card
- mPower Visa Prepaid Card
- Walmart MoneyCard Visa Prepaid Card
- PayPower™ Visa® Prepaid Card
- Vision Preferred Visa Prepaid Debit Card (no Direct Deposit)
- Vision Preferred Visa Prepaid Debit Card (with Direct Deposit)
- Vision Premier Visa Prepaid Debit Card (Without Direct Deposit)
- UPside Visa prepaid card (Edge Plan)
- UPside Visa Prepaid Card (Access Plan)
- UPside Visa Prepaid Card (Clear Plan)
- Pink ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Card
- ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Card (Annual)
- ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Card (not using direct deposit)
- ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Card
- READYdebit Prepaid Visa Card (“Control” Plan with No Direct Deposit)
- REACH Visa Prepaid Debit Card
- NetSpend Prepaid Visa Debit Card (Premier Fee Advantage Version – with Direct Deposit)
- NetSpend Prepaid Visa Debit Card (Fee Advantage Version)
- nFinanSe Prepaid Debit Visa Card
Browse Through All of Our Prepaid MasterCard Debit Cards
- PayPal Prepaid MasterCard
- O2USA Prepaid MasterCard
- SilverCard Prepaid MasterCard
- Western Union MoneyWise Prepaid Mastercard
- FlexClear Prepaid MasterCard
- Walmart MoneyCard MasterCard Prepaid Card
- EXACT Prepaid MasterCard
- Univision MasterCard Prepaid Card
- Mango MasterCard Prepaid Card (Direct Deposit)
- NetSpend MasterCard Prepaid Card (Premier Fee Advantage Version – with Direct Deposit)
- NetSpend MasterCard Prepaid Card (Fee Advantage Version)
- Bank Freedom MasterCard Prepaid Expense Card
- Yap Prepaid Debit MasterCard
- Mango MasterCard Prepaid Card
- MasterCard MoneySend Prepaid Card
- Virtual MasterCard MoneySend Prepaid Debit Card
- MiCash Prepaid MasterCard
- AccountNow Prepaid MasterCard with (No Direct Deposit)
- First Vineyard
- Facecard Prepaid MasterCard