Prepaid Debit Cards
Prepaid debit cards are a smart and cost-effective alternative to carrying cash and paying check cashing fees. A good prepaid debit card can be better than a “traditional’ bank account in many ways. But how do you decide which of the dozens of debit cards are the best?
Prepaid debit cards are not credit cards. Because prepaid debit cards are “pre-funded” (with the amount of money you deposit in the account related to the debit card), you only spend the money you have (so you won’t get over extended or run into credit problems). Even better, almost anyone can qualify for a prepaid card (there usually is no credit check required, and you don’t need to have an existing bank account).
We Help You Find the Best Prepaid Debit Cards
There are dozens of good prepaid debit cards. Many are similar (and many are issued by the same banks). So how do you choose which card is the best?
We’ve tried to make it easy for you, by reviewing all of the top prepaid debit cards and by providing handy calculators and reviews for you to use to enter information about how you expect to use your card. Generally, the best debit card is one issued by a reputable and consumer-friendly issuer, that has the features you need, and that has the lowest fees for your expected use.
The best prepaid debit card for you may not be the best debit card for me.
For each of the cards reviewed, we tell you exactly how much it costs, and how you can load money on the card. We also tell you how you can use each of the cards. You’ll find that most of our favorite prepaid debit cards are cheaper than a regular bank account, and let you use them at almost every merchant location (at regular “brick and mortar” stores, as well as on the Internet or over the phone).
Ready to find the right prepaid debit card?
Use our card search engine (at the top right of this page), or browse the prepaid debit cards listed on the right hand side of the page. Make sure to check out the “Fee Examples” at the bottom of each card, and play around with the calculator using your expected usage scenarios. We are confident you’ll find the right card for your needs.
Here are two of our most popular Prepaid Debit Cards
READYdebit Visa (“Control” Plan with Direct Deposit)
The READYDebit CONTROL Visa prepaid card offers cardholders some magnificent savings when they participate in direct deposit. By automatically loading your pay or benefits checks (a minimum of $1500) every month on the Control card through direct deposit, you can save the monthly fees typically charged on a READYdebit prepaid card. Even if you don’t take advantage of direct deposit, the READYdebit Control Visa plan offers a pay per transaction program for customers not needing a lot of bells and whistles. For a low monthly charge, cardholders can use the Readydebit card occasionally when needed. The funds loaded on your ReadyDebit card are protected by the Visa Zero Liability policy. There are also several convenient methods to load money on your prepaid ReadyDebit Visa.
MiCash Prepaid MasterCard
With the MiCash Prepaid MasterCard, you can enjoy many of the conveniences a credit card offers without the risk of overspending or having to pay interest. Apply for free, even if you have bad credit. Plus, you will pay no overdraft fees or late fees. Read More
Browse Through All of Our Prepaid Visa Debit Cards
- mPower Visa Prepaid Card with direct deposit
- Green Dot Gold Prepaid Visa Card
- mPower Visa Prepaid Card
- Walmart MoneyCard Visa Prepaid Card
- PayPower™ Visa® Prepaid Card
- Vision Preferred Visa Prepaid Debit Card (no Direct Deposit)
- Vision Preferred Visa Prepaid Debit Card (with Direct Deposit)
- Vision Premier Visa Prepaid Debit Card (Without Direct Deposit)
- UPside Visa prepaid card (Edge Plan)
- UPside Visa Prepaid Card (Access Plan)
- UPside Visa Prepaid Card (Clear Plan)
- Pink ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Card
- ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Card (Annual)
- ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Card (not using direct deposit)
- ACE Elite Visa Prepaid Card
- READYdebit Prepaid Visa Card (“Control” Plan with No Direct Deposit)
- REACH Visa Prepaid Debit Card
- NetSpend Prepaid Visa Debit Card (Premier Fee Advantage Version – with Direct Deposit)
- NetSpend Prepaid Visa Debit Card (Fee Advantage Version)
- nFinanSe Prepaid Debit Visa Card
Browse Through All of Our Prepaid MasterCard Debit Cards
- PayPal Prepaid MasterCard
- O2USA Prepaid MasterCard
- SilverCard Prepaid MasterCard
- Western Union MoneyWise Prepaid Mastercard
- FlexClear Prepaid MasterCard
- Walmart MoneyCard MasterCard Prepaid Card
- EXACT Prepaid MasterCard
- Univision MasterCard Prepaid Card
- Mango MasterCard Prepaid Card (Direct Deposit)
- NetSpend MasterCard Prepaid Card (Premier Fee Advantage Version – with Direct Deposit)
- NetSpend MasterCard Prepaid Card (Fee Advantage Version)
- Bank Freedom MasterCard Prepaid Expense Card
- Yap Prepaid Debit MasterCard
- Mango MasterCard Prepaid Card
- MasterCard MoneySend Prepaid Card
- Virtual MasterCard MoneySend Prepaid Debit Card
- MiCash Prepaid MasterCard
- AccountNow Prepaid MasterCard with (No Direct Deposit)
- First Vineyard
- Facecard Prepaid MasterCard